We were flipping through the pages of our favourite magazine last week and had one of those moments where the universe seemed completely in sync. The July issue of Vogue has an article praising Hyaluronic Acid and we had just been doing the same hours earlier. Products with Hyaluronic Acid often become Cloud 10 Team faves so I had asked Blanaid, our beauty-maven and walking skincare encyclopedia, why the ingredient was so special. And since we’re not ones to keep our trade secrets to ourselves, here is what she had to say:
- Hyaluronic Acid is found naturally in the body but as we age our ability to produce it is reduced, which can lead to wrinkles and dryer skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid is a gel-like molecule that is capable of absorbing up to 1000 times its weight. It is a space-filler and a cushioning agent. Hyaluronic Acid cushions joints, nerves, hydrates skin and hair, and fills the eye.
- It also acts like a magnet to water – so if you apply your moisturiser on top of a Hyaluronic Acid serum, it will hold on to the water in your moisturiser, allowing it to stay on the skin longer before evaporating. No other biological substance can hold and retain as much water.
- A lack of Hyaluronic Acid in the skin leads to slower healing time and a higher risk of bacteria on the surface of the skin which can result in acne.
- Hyaluronic Acid is anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, an antioxidant and a free radical scavenger. It stimulates the production of collagen, maintains skin elasticity and softens the skin. It’s a skin saviour.
And here are some of the team faves that got the whole conversation started…
Do you have some of your own Hyaluronic Acid faves? Tell us which ones!